Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Tales from WRR


Look what we woke up to yesterday morning! It was simply a stunning day...


One of the interesting things about working at the ranch in the off-season is you never really know what you will do from day to day. Some days you sit at your desk and do office stuff. Others days you knock things off the property to-do list. And other days get hijacked by the unexpected. Like Friday...

I awoke on Friday morning to Lynda saying, "Umm...it sounds like water is running underneath the bathroom." I poured myself out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom and the closer I got, the louder I could hear what sounded like a waterfall under our bathroom. "Looks like I have the opportunity to hone up on my plumbing skills today - this is a beneficial and exciting challenge!" is not what I said.

So I called Nick and Mick and the three of us crawled under the cabin to see what was going on. Unfortunately, the leak was so far back, that we couldn't see it. So Nick and Mick took turns tunneling about eight feet back just so we could find the leak. Here's a pic of what that looked like:


They dug till lunch while I fixed the door that had blown off in the wind and caused the pipe to freeze. After lunch, Mick kept digging while Nick went to doctor a horse in the valley. Once Mick found the break, he and I took turns looking at the break and decided to call in Don. Don crawled back and, after much consideration, dedided he could fix it. Mick and I shuttled tools, copper pipe, and other things back to Don as he practiced his special brand of creative plumbing. Here's another pic...(I downloaded two pictures and don't know how to delete one...)



After much crawling in the dirt and mud - and refixing a couple of spots two or three times - the pipes were fixed and we had water again. We slithered out from under the cabin at about 8:30 that night to complete a solid 12 hours of laying under the house - good times.

Here's to hoping this Friday will be just as fun!

Rob

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Looks like I have the opportunity to hone up on my plumbing skills today - this is a beneficial and exciting challenge!" is not what I said.

That made me laugh for a little too long.