Wow - we got over a foot of snow this weekend - it is beautiful! I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow to post...
Don't worry, the discussions won't always be as long as today's...or tomorrow's for that matter. These two verses are super meaty.
1 Peter 1:1
“Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to God’s elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia…”
Our introduction dealt with most of this verse – Peter the apostle of Jesus, Peter the author, and the provinces of Asia Minor. So I’ll touch on the points that we haven’t talked about yet.
“to God’s elect”
Nothing like easing into the discussion with one of the most controversial points of Christianity. Election – does God choose who will follow Him? And if He does choose, does that mean the chosen have no choice…and those who are not chosen have no chance? I’ll give you the two main ways to look at this issue:
1. God chooses, or predestines, who will follow Him. Those who are chosen have no choice – God’s grace is irresistible – and those who are not chosen have no chance to have a relationship with God. This seems harsh to us, but since we are all worthy of death because of sin, isn’t it merciful for God to save some? And as Paul says, who are we to question God’s ways… This is a Calvinistic argument (point of fact – John Calvin did not create this theory – this theory had been around long before Calvin).
2. God’s grace is available to all, but it is up each individual to choose to accept it. “God’s elect” are those who have accepting Christ’s redeeming work on their behalf. Salvation is by grace alone, but God has given us free will to choose. This theory attempts to find a balance between the passages dealing with election and the passages dealing with humanity’s free will. This is part of the Arminian theory – named after the theologian Arminius.
Which is it? Nobody really knows – both sides make good points based upon biblical evidence; strong theologians and lovers of Jesus have different opinions on this topic. Respectful dialogue and discussion is well worth the time, but it should never lead to a break in fellowship. Speaking of which, Romans 14 gives helpful instructions on how to deal with touchy debates with Christian friends.
One final thought; as my pastor in Houston would say, “Do you believe in predestination? Yes. Do you believe in free will? Yes. I don’t understand it, but in God’s economy – I believe they are both true.” God’s ways are much higher than our ways. If we could understand everything about Him, He wouldn’t be much of a god. When in doubt, we leave these questions in the hands of a loving God.
“strangers in the world”
I love this phrase, though it challenges me. Am I a stranger in this world? Do I live in such a way that it is evident that I believe there is more to life…than this life? Would those around me think that there is more to my life than chasing after grades, relationships, and money? Am I a stranger in this world or have I become too cozy here?
How do you spend your time and your money? What do you listen to, watch, and talk about it? What we see and hear affect us more than we will ever know. Is there any evidence that Jesus is the most important part of your life? That is a hard question to ask yourself…its even hard to answer honestly.
A couple of verses for you:
“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world – the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does – comes not from the Father but from the world.” – 1 John 2:15
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” – John 16:33
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment