Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thought for the Day

So...I was tearing the old walls off the bathroom in Ranch House A this morning and discovered a mouse graveyard with 11 dead mice. They were in various stages of decomposition - one was from this year, another from last year maybe, all the way down to one that was almost gone. Good times!

While I don’t have a ton of time with all the projects going on right now – I did have a thought I wanted to share with you. I read this passage from Isaiah 31 earlier this week:

“Woe to those who go down to Egypt for help, who rely on horses, who trust in the multitude of their chariots and in the great strength of their horsemen, but do not look to the Holy One of Israel, or seek help from the Lord…

But the Egyptians are men and not God; their horses are flesh and not spirit. When the Lord stretches out his hand, he who helps will stumble, he who is helped will fall; both with perish together.

This is what the Lord says to me:

As a lion growls, a great lion over his prey – and though a whole band of shepherds is called together against him; he is not frightened by their shouts or disturbed by their clamor – so the Lord Almighty will come down to do battle on Mount Zion and on its heights.

Like birds hovering overhead, the Lord Almighty will shield Jerusalem; he will shield it and deliver it, he will ‘pass over’ it and will rescue it.Return to him you have so greatly revolted against, O Israelites…”

God continually rebuked Israel for making treaties with Egypt or other local powers. Israel was only doing what any small nation would do – allying themselves with a military power to protect themselves from their larger neighbors. It makes perfect sense doesn’t it?

Of course, Israel was not called to be just another nation; they were called to be God’s people. As such, God promised to be their protector. Yet, Israel didn’t believe God and chose to put their trust in Egypt and Pharaoh’s military might – to tragic consequences.

As I read this passage, I began wondering what I trust instead of God. Do I trust my future with God, or do I trust my IRA? Do I trust my well-being with God, or do I trust my health and fitness level? Do I trust God for my emotional needs, or do I put my trust in Lynda, family, and friends? Do I trust my eternal security with God, or do I put my trust in my good works, good intentions, and good nature? Definitely something for me to think about…

How about you? What do you trust instead of God? He won’t force you to trust Him. And as we learn from God’s dealing with Israel, He will let you trust other things and stand by while you are disappointed by those you put your trust in.

God promises to come through – and He always keeps his promises. He is faithful – trust Him!

No comments: