Thursday, October 18, 2012


Philippians 1:1-2 – One

“Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus, to all the saints in Christ Jesus at Philippi, together with the overseers and deacons: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.”

It never ceases to amaze me when New Testament writers call their readers “saints”. I would not consider myself a saint, and I definitely wouldn’t call most of the people I know saints (no offense).  Maybe I would call them, “Pretty nice people,” or “Works in process” or “Church attendees” – but not saints.

The word “saint” comes from the Greek word hagios, which means “consecrated to God, holy, sacred, pious." It is almost always used in the plural, “saints,” to describe the church.  When we accept Christ, we become saints, consecrated to God, holy, sacred, and pious. 

Again, you may say, “I know myself and I ain’t no saint!”  God says, “It’s not about you; it’s all about my son Jesus.  Because you follow Him, His righteousness covers you…You are the righteousness of Me in Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 1:30)…that makes you a saint.”  The God who spoke the heavens into existence declares that you are a saint – so get used to it: you are a saint.

Not only you, but every believer in this great wild world is a saint as well.  If you believe Mr. Google that is 2.18 billion people who professes to being a Christian – nearly one third of the global population.  My question is this: if one out of every three people you meet is a Christ follower, why is this world in such a mess? 

I would think that if 2.18 billion people were seeking justice, serving the poor, loving their neighbor, praying for the nations, and sharing their faith that this would be a much different place.  I’m ashamed that we (and I) make so little difference in the world.  Of course, we cannot dictate how others live out their faith, but we can determine how we will live ours. 

I challenge you to be one of 2.18 billion that lives like a saint: consecrated to God, holy, sacred, and pious.  I challenge you to be one who lives like you are God’s workmanship created to do good works.  I challenge you to be one who will love God and loves others like yourself. I challenge you to be one who lives in the spirit of power that God has given us and not the spirit of timidity that so many of us suffer under. 

Will you be one?  I bet if you will, one or two will follow your lead.  And maybe the faithfulness of a few will lead many others to do the same.  Who knows what God will do? 

“Do all the good you can. By all the means you can. In all the ways you can. In all the places you can. At all the times you can. To all the people you can. As long as ever you can.”John Wesley

No comments: