Philippians 1:9-11 – Ridiculous
Love IV
“And this
is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of
insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure
and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of
righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.”
Why am I spending so much time on this one short
passage? Because of this quote:
“I like your
Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ.” – Gandhi
That quote should break your heart. Of course, the
fact that we are unlike Christ is very true.
Christ is God and totally unlike us – He is “other” than we are. If the unchurched are going to hold us to the
perfect standard of Christ (and some will), then we will never satisfy them.
BUT… through the Holy Spirit, we can grow in His
attributes: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, and
self-control. We are not exactly like
Him, but through the process of sanctification we become more like Him.
I don’t think that Gandhi was talking about the
theological distinction between Christian and Christ, but the lack of a
resemblance between Christ and His followers. Sadly, he is not alone in that
complaint.
Why do people dislike church? Because of the people in the church. I
realize that many people are going to bash the church regardless of what we do
simply because we love Jesus. But we must take responsibility for our part in
the perception of the church. Another quote for you:
“The biggest
failing of the church today is not a lack of knowledge, but a lack of love;
love for God, love for one another, and love for the world. The failing of the church is my failing.”
Lack of love is our failing. If we (the church) spent
more time loving instead of judging, listening instead of arguing, caring
instead of condescending, getting involved instead of retreating, I think those
outside the church would take us more seriously.
G.K. Chesterton, the great Christian thinker and writer,
was invited to write an essay for a newspaper entitled, “What is wrong with the world?”
Chesterton mailed the following reply:
“Dear Sirs, I am. Sincerely yours, G.K.
Chesterton”
Chesterton understood his responsibility in making the world
what it was…and his responsibility in making it better. We need that same attitude in the church
today.
The church is being marginalized because I do not love my
neighbor, care for the poor, seek and save the lost, extend the hand of
friendship to those who believe differently than I do, or pray for my community
like I should. The church’s problem is
my problem – and it is your problem as well.
The church will not become what we want it to be until
you and I do the hard work of disciplining ourselves, being obedient, and
loving those around us. The Spirit will
empower us and transform us, but not until we show ourselves faithful. The world desperately needs a Christ-centered,
loving church – and that begins with Christ-centered and loving people.
Paul prayed that love would abound in the Philippian
church, that knowledge and depth of insight would grow, that discernment,
purity, and blamelessness would describe that fellowship of believers, and that
they would be filled with the fruit of righteousness, all for the Glory of
God. May it be so in our church as well!
“Church isn’t where you meet. Church isn’t
a building. Church is what you do. Church is who you are. Church is the human
outworking of the person of Jesus Christ. Let’s not go to church, let’s be the
church.” – Bridget Willard
No comments:
Post a Comment