Philippians
2:14-15; Complaints
“Do everything without
grumbling or arguing, (15) so that you may become blameless and pure, “children
of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”
Grumbling. Arguing.
Just typing those words wear me out.
We aren’t talking about good natured grumbling to be funny or having a
healthy debate. We are talking about
being argumentative and straight up complaining. I get tired just thinking about being around
people like that…
What does
complaining and arguing accomplish? Does
it make the situation better? Does it
make whatever you are complaining about go away? Does it make other people want to help you? Does it make you pleasant to be around? Does it draw other people to Christ? I would answer no, no, no, no, no, and definitely
no to those questions.
Grumbling and being
argumentative are useless activities. I
see it in Levi and Wren when they complain about things, their main purpose is
to let us know that they are unhappy. “Things are NOT going my way and I want it
changed…and if it can’t be changed, I want everyone to know I am not happy!” That sounds an awful lot like my spirit when
I am complaining or arguing, how about you?
The second part of
this passage is a little more uplifting.
Do you want to be
blameless and pure? Do you want to be a
child of God without fault? Then don’t
grumble or complain, or stated positively, be content. If you understand that God is with you every
moment, that he has given you everything that you need and he will take care of
you in the future…there is nothing to complain about.
If you are a
grumbler and/or a complainer, I would encourage you to start thinking of all
the good things God has given to you.
Thankfulness leads to contentment which will eradicate grumbling and
complaining in your life!
“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or we can rejoice that thorn bushes have roses.” – Abraham
Lincoln
No comments:
Post a Comment