Wednesday, December 10, 2014


Philippians 3:10-11; To Know Christ
“I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.”
“I want to know Christ.”  If you are looking for a good New Year’s Resolution, there it is.  The older I get, the more I realize that knowing Christ is not my primary desire.  I want to do things for Christ.  I want to learn more about Christ.  I want blessings from Christ.  I want to become more like Christ, or at least less sinful.  I even want to be obedient to Christ. 
While there is nothing wrong with that list, they put other things – good things – ahead of a growing, intimate relationship with Christ.  I am beginning to realize that part of me would rather have religion than a relationship.  Religion is so much easier: do that, don’t do this, make sure you are on the right side of the bell curve and you are good to go.  Relationship is a little messier and much less defined.
This is a truth that has challenged me for years: you can do all sorts of things for Jesus without ever knowing Him.  Matthew 7:21-23 speaks clearly to that:
“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!
Religion leads to self-righteousness, judgment, bitterness and ultimately death.  But relationship is where you find love, joy, peace, and intimacy – it is well worth the work! 
Perhaps, like me, you need to reorder your priorities.  As we get closer to Christmas, spend more energy getting to know Jesus through quiet times in prayer, worship, and studying His word.  You may need to step back from a commitment or two to do that – and that is okay. 
We let the urgent overshadow the important; it is time to make the import urgent.  Start today!
“It is the things that are right and noble and good from the natural standpoint that keep us back from God’s best.”Oswald Chambers






No comments: