Thursday, March 5, 2015


Philippians 3:20-21; “Believe – for real.”
“But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.”
Do you believe that your citizenship is in heaven and not on this earth?  Do you eagerly await the return of Jesus?  Do you believe that everything is in His control?  Do you believe that your lowly body will become like His? 
If you are like me, you give mental assent to these truths…but…your life may not reflect that belief.  In other words, I believe those statements are true, but that belief hasn’t changed my attitudes or how I live my life yet.  What would our lives look like if we really believed these four statements?

1.       Citizen of heaven: If we believed that, we wouldn’t chase money, prestige, power, and popularity because we wouldn’t care – this isn’t our home.  We wouldn’t want the biggest house or the fanciest clothes or a fat bank account.  We would be much more interested in storing up treasure in our true home of heaven – not acquiring and hoarding treasure here.  If we really believed our citizenship was in Heaven, we would not look so much like the world.

 

2.       Jesus is coming back:  If Jesus said, “I will return in 10 days,” how would you spend your time?  I would do everything I could to share Christ with my family and friends because if I didn’t, they would spend eternity separated from God beginning in 10 days.  And I wouldn’t really care what they thought about me because in 10 days, I would be with Christ.  If we really believed Jesus could return at any moment, we would be more concerned with God’s work and less concerned with what others thought of us for doing God’s work.

 

3.       Everything is in His control:  If we really believed this, we wouldn’t worry as much as we do…or at all.  My scholarship fell through – Jesus is in control.  My parents are sick – Jesus is in control.  I lost my job – Jesus is in control.  I have cancer – Jesus is in control.  There are plenty of things in this world to cause worry – believing that Jesus is in control allows you to function, and even prosper, in the midst of those uncertain times.  If we really believed Jesus was in control – we would have peace.

 

4.       We will be like Him: What incredible hope!  One day we will no longer struggle with sin or deal with the consequences of sin.  One day we will know and be known completely without fear or judgment.  One day we will leave these broken down, sin-soaked bodies for a new body that will last forever!  One day will leave this world and step into eternity. If we really believed this, we would celebrate that every day brings us closer to THAT day.

There are many more implications; I just focused on the first one that popped into my mind for each of those thoughts.  If you feel like the world is too much with you, meditate on this verse.  Memorize it.  Write it on your mirror and sticky note to your computer.  Allow the truth of these words change your attitudes and your actions will follow. 
If you want to look like Christ, the first thing you have to do is stop looking like the world.  The best way to do that is to turn your eyes off the world and focus on Jesus. 
Four truths that will change your life: We don’t belong to this world.  Jesus is coming back.  Jesus is in control.  We will be like Him.  That is the truth! 
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.”1 John 2:15-17

No comments: