Philippians
4:4; Rejoice
“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”
A fact of human nature: we don’t
like to be told what to do. Case in point, when I was in high school, everyone
told me I should ask out this girl. And by everyone, I mean EVERYONE! I got so annoyed by it that I never asked her
out. And the most ridiculous part is –
that I really kind of liked her. So I refused to ask out a girl I liked just
because people said I should. Brilliant.
I, at least, don’t like to be told
what to do. But why? Many things that we are told to do are not
only good for us, but enjoyable. Especially
biblical instructions: take my yoke upon you, let not your heart be troubled,
don’t worry, let the little ones come to me, receive God’s power, and be born
again to name a few. All good, positive
things!
And then there is this command: “rejoice!” That sounds pretty awesome. But why don’t I do it more? Because my rejoicing is based almost solely
on my circumstances. My sports teams are
winning – I’m jumping up and down. The
kids are doing well and getting along – I rejoice (or am at least
relieved). It’s a beautiful day –
hurray!
Oh no, it’s cold, windy and snowy –
boo. My team lost – stink. The kids are destroying the house – I think I
will go to bed. My attitude and outlook
on the day is often based on things I cannot control. That isn’t a wise way to live…I am at the
mercy of other people and the quirks of my environment.
But the rejoicing Paul talks about
is not circumstantial at all. He is
talking about a rock-solid foundational attitude we can have all the time. How?
The phrase, “in the Lord” is the key.
We can always rejoice “in the Lord” because our relationship with our
unchanging God is eternally secure.
Circumstances cannot touch that truth. Whether you lose your job, are
sick in the hospital, or even mourning the death of a friend or family member –
you can rejoice in the Lord because you are His. Nothing can change that.
To live like that we must change the
way we think. If we want to be joyful, we have to train our minds to see the
eternal truth, not the temporary situation.
We must gaze at God and glance at our circumstances instead of gazing at
our circumstances and glancing at God.
God loves you. He sent His Son to
live a perfect life you can’t live, to die to pay the penalty for your sins
that you couldn’t pay; He rose again to defeat sin and its consequences, and
set you free to live in relationship with Him today and for all eternity. No wonder Paul says: Rejoice!
“Do not grieve. For
the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
– Nehemiah 8:10b
No comments:
Post a Comment