Friday, January 15, 2016


Philippians 4:9; Imitation
“Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put into practice.  And the God of peace will be with you.”
What is your initial reaction to that statement?  Mine is: “Wow, Paul is pretty arrogant.”  I know myself too well to say, “I have this Jesus thing figured out – do what I do and you’ll be good.”  Yikes!  I hope there are better examples than me out there. That is my first reaction.
But as I think a little deeper, Paul wasn’t prideful. In fact, just the opposite.  In Romans 7:14-25, Paul articulates clearly his struggle to obey Christ.  He ends that passage with this very non-arrogant phrase, “Who will save me from this body of death?”  Paul is the last person who would say, “I’m perfect, follow me.” 
So on what basis is he saying, follow me?  In the Christian life, it’s not my ability that counts; it’s my ability to allow God to use me.  Role models and leaders are people who in spite of their faults say, “Follow me” because they know it is Christ who does the work in them. 
When they succeed – they praise the Lord because they know the success came from Him.  When they fail, they humble themselves and ask forgiveness – and praise the Lord for His grace.  It isn’t about us – it’s about Jesus!  Role models and leaders know that…and cling to like a lifeline.
Charles Barkley once said, “I am not a role model…just because I dunk a basketball doesn’t mean I should raise your kids.”  And in one sense, he is right.  Being a basketball player doesn’t mean he signed up to be a role model.  But you don’t get to opt out of having someone look up to you.  You can be chosen as a role model whether you apply for the job or not. 
You can be like Chuck and deny your responsibility to those around you.  Or you can understand that someone looks up to you and seize that opportunity to be a Godly role model.  Paul knew that the church in Philippi looked up to him, so he embraced that responsibility and committed to lead them.
Being a role model isn’t about your perfection. It means that you have drawn a line in the sand and committed yourself to Christ and can say like Joshua, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord! 
Our culture and our church desperately need people willing to say, “Follow me!  I am not perfect, but I’m following Jesus the best I can!” 
Are you ready to make that stand today?  If not, why not? 
“Remember your leaders who taught you the word of God.  Think of all the good that has come from their lives, and follow the example of their faith.”Hebrews 13:7

No comments: