Wednesday, March 25, 2009
1 Peter 1:15-16 - Holy
1 Peter 1:15-16
“But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: Be holy, because I am holy.”
I’ve always had trouble understanding verses like this. If God is holy, how in the world can I be holy? In other places the bible tells us to be perfect – I can’t be perfect; I’ve tried – perfection is beyond my grasp. Why does the bible exhort us to do the impossible?
This may surprise you, but I have two thoughts on that question. First, my definition of “holy” and “perfect” are not necessarily the bible’s definitions. “Holy” means set apart or separated for a special or unique purpose. God is holy because there is no one like Him – He is a one of a kind – so He is holy, or separate by nature.
You and I on the other hand, are not holy by nature. We, like all people, are stuck in the tar pit of sin. But because of God’s grace and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, God can pull us out of the pit, wash us off, and set us apart for His work. We become holy because God makes us holy.
“Perfect” is often translated as “mature”; the idea is “grown up”, not necessarily without sin. While I cannot be without sin, I can be mature and grown up. The process of sanctification is how we become mature in Christ. We obey Christ which opens the door to allow the Holy Spirit to change us – in other words, we put ourselves in position to be changed and God is faithful to change us.
Second, putting translation and semantics aside, God can do absolutely anything. He created this world with a word – He can do anything He wants to – even make sinners holy and perfect. That is the unbelievable power of the God we serve. He is not some small, powerless vending machine that we approach when we want something, insert some good works or church attendance, and demand the God give us our heart’s desires. He is majestic and wild and worthy of awe, fear, and total submission. We can be thankful that He is loving and treats us as beloved children – He is complete power and complete love.
Over and over Peter reminds us of the graciousness of God. Isn’t it amazing that you and I can be used by God? Isn’t it astonishing that God loves us so much that He takes the effort to change us from our stubborn and sinful ways? And isn’t it just flat out ridiculous that God would choose to call us friends while we were sinners? The miraculous is commonplace for our God – how else could he dare to call us holy?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment