Friday, March 27, 2009

1 Peter 1:17-21; Verse 17 - Strangers


1 Peter 1:17-21

**These five verses discuss such a critical Christian truth that I didn’t want to separate them and possibly miss the big picture. I still plan to hit one verse at a time, but I want each verse to be taken in the context of the whole.

“Since you call on a Father who judges each man’s work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear. (V18) For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, (V19) but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.(V20) He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.(V21) Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.”

Business accounting was the class that convinced me to change my major from finance to business management. I was TERRIBLE at accounting – the only thing I could do well was reconcile. I was a reconciling fool, but unfortunately, the rest of accounting was beyond my grasp. I had to work incredibly hard just to keep up. When finals rolled around, the teacher announced that if you were happy with your grade, you didn’t need to take the final. My grade was: 79.46, or a C – 80 was a B.

I went to the teacher and pleaded my case. “I have not missed a class, I have been to every study session, and turned in every extra credit assignment. If you will round up the six – that will turn the 4 to a 5 – which will round the 79 to an 80. So you’re not giving me anything, you’re just rounding up one decimal place further than normal.” She replied, “I’m sorry, I don’t round up. Your grade is your grade.” Stupid accounting.

That is an example of being judged impartially. She ignored all my arguments and reasoning (persuasive and valid reasoning in my opinion) and focused on the only thing that mattered – the grade. I am much more philosophical about it now than I was then – I was ticked!

Peter begins this passage with the sobering reality that God is utterly impartial, even to those who call him Father. He does not grade on a curve, nor does He compare our actions with others; He judges us based upon the talents and opportunities He has given us (think of the Parable of Talents). As Acts 10:34 says, “God is no respecter of persons.”

This verse provides a powerful explanation of why we should live our lives in reverent fear. We are totally at the mercy of God. We have no hope – not one chance to escape the penalty of sin. Because of sin, we are doomed to live apart from God in this life and for all eternity – that is beyond frightening. We fear God because He is our completely righteous (and we are far from righteous) and impartial judge (and we know that we deserve to be judged). But we revere Him because He loves us and cares for us like a Father. Thank God for His love today!

One other interesting point, the Greek word for “strangers” is most often used to describe people living in a foreign land. Imagine a community of faithful Israelites living in Rome, or Assyria – even though they were no longer in Israel, they lived their lives as if they were.

When one becomes a follower of Jesus, their residency is transferred to the Kingdom of God. They become a member of a community of people living in a foreign land; strangers who live obediently to Jesus Christ – instead of living like those around them. As Peter instructs, we are called to live according to the customs and expectations of our new homeland, even as we live our lives on earth.

The obvious question in light of this verse is: does your life reflect the culture around you or the Kingdom of God?

“But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.”Philippians 3:20

No comments: