Wednesday, December 16, 2009
1 Peter 2:12 - Do Right
“Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.”
Do what is right…at all times…in every situation.
People are watching you.
If they know you are a Christian, they are judging Christ based upon your life.
I’m afraid Christians, you and I, don’t always represent Christ very well.
"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." - Gandhi
Saying you live one way, and then living differently, is called hypocrisy.
I Googled “Christian Hypocrisy” and discovered 1,090,000 sites (in .27 seconds); most asking the same question: “Why don’t Christians live like Jesus?”
Do you ever ask that question?
Does your life ever cause others to ask that question?
Our lives should be the positive response to, not the reason for, that question.
God expects us to do right. He has given us His very Spirit to empower us to do so.
But He will not do it for us; we must choose to please God instead of our human nature.
Who are you pleasing?
Are you doing things you know are less than God’s best: getting drunk, cheating, sleeping around, lying, disobeying your parents, gossiping, anything?
You are harming yourself and grieving the Holy Spirit who resides within you.
Your actions give unbelievers an easy excuse not to follow Christ.
They are responsible for their decisions, but we are responsible for our witness.
What type of witness are you providing?
This Christmas give yourself the best gift possible: a clear conscious before God.
Confess your sins, turn your back on them, and follow God.
He will forgive and restore.
Only then will you enjoy peace on earth, good will toward men.
Merry Christmas!
PS – There is much more to “doing good” than not “doing bad” – loving your neighbor, going the extra mile, caring for others…very important things…things that will cause nonbelievers to take note that we have been with Jesus – but I felt a need to focus on not “doing bad” today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment