Wednesday, January 16, 2013


Philippians 1:14; Pressure

“Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.”

Peer pressure is an amazing force. You probably know that it is very difficult for guys to back down from these four words: “I bet you won’t…” Of course, that story typically ends with the guy telling an EMT that if the shopping cart wheel hadn’t fallen off, he would have landed safely on the back of his buddies moving pickup or some other shenanigans/chicanery/tomfoolery.

But peer pressure is not inherently bad, although the bad gets the most press. Some peer pressure is good – let’s call it, “peer influence”.  If you want to skip class to go see a movie, and your friends don’t want to miss class, you will probably go to class – that is positive peer influence.

Paul preached the gospel boldly and was thrown in jail for it.  Instead of dissuading other Christians, it actually spurred them to speak more boldly.  Why do you think that happened?  I believe Paul’s band of brothers believed, like Paul, that it is more important to obey God than anything else in the world.  They also believed these words of Jesus,

“Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”Matthew 5:12

Paul surrounded himself with likeminded brothers and sisters who took the words of Jesus seriously and encouraged one another in faithfulness.  They influenced one another into carrying out the work of Jesus despite the cost.  That is why Paul’s ministry was picked up by others when he was put in prison.  I can hear the brothers saying, “They put Paul in prison?  I’m not going to let that stop the work of Jesus!  I’m going to be even bolder in sharing Christ.  If I get put in prison, so be it, great is my reward in heaven!” 

I hope I would respond like that, wouldn’t you?  I want to stand up and be accounted as faithful.  I want to care more about God’s Kingdom than my own. Like Paul, “I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.” - Philippians 3:10-11

One of the most important steps in becoming that type of believer is to surround yourself with those who believe as you do.  Because as much as I want to live like Paul, the other half of me doesn’t want anything to do with persecution, self-denial, or sacrifice.  So we desperately need to surround ourselves with people who will draw out the Christ in us instead of drawing out the self in us.

We all have peers that affect our thoughts and behavior in one way or another. Your friends are either a stepping stone or stumbling block to your relationship with Christ. The important question is this: what peers are you being pressured by?

“Be yourself today…but be your best self.”Will McCay’s mom

No comments: