Philippians
1:18b-19; Rejoice
“Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, (19) for I know
that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ,
what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.”
Paul rejoiced that the gospel was being shared, even
while he was in prison. Don’t forget that all this rejoicing is happening IN
PRISON. Paul’s temporary circumstances
didn’t matter to him because he had an eternal perspective. The sufficiency of Christ allowed Paul to
rise above his circumstances and to truly rejoice in midst of suffering!
A side note: I want Paul’s outlook. If I have a cold,
which I do right now, I am mopey, miserable and a big baby (ask Lynda), the
world is bleak and desolate and nothing can convince me otherwise. Why can’t I have perspective like Paul? “Hey I
feel terrible, but Christ is being preached, my name is written in the Lamb’s
book of life, God is on His throne…this is a good day!” I pray for that attitude…and probably need to
do a little work on it myself.
In verse 19, Paul quotes Job 13:16, “Indeed, this will
turn out for my deliverance…” In effect, Paul is saying, ‘I believe, as Job did, that the end of my
present affliction will be some great good.
I am in prison and exposed to enmity and misunderstanding, but God always
protects those who put their trust in Him.”
Paul based his attitude on God’s truth, not on his
feelings and circumstances. God is in control and He will turn trials into
something good, so Paul rejoiced.
(Sounds a bit like Romans 8:28
doesn’t it?) How would your life be
different if you based your attitude on God’s truth instead of on your
circumstances?
This is a great mystery to me: the prayers of the
Philippians were part of Paul’s deliverance. Somehow, our prayers matter to
God. And somehow, our prayers are
important and bring about real action from God.
If God knows everything, why does my prayer make any difference? It’s not like I’m bringing up a situation
that He is unaware of or suggesting a course of action that He has already
considered.
Regardless, our prayers matter to God and they are
effective in the lives of others. “The
prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.” (James 5:16) The prayers of
the Philippians were effective and your prayers are effective as well. God
hears and acts on the prayers of His children.
Isn’t that reason enough to rejoice today!
“You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do
it.” – John 14:14
No comments:
Post a Comment