Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Philippians 1:21; Fill in the Blank
“For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.”
How simple is that?  I love it!  One of the recurring themes in this first chapter is Paul’s singular focus on the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Paul’s main purpose in life was simply to glorify Jesus. That was it – he wasn’t distracted by money, power, influence, popularity, or even family (he was single).  Wouldn’t you like to have such a singular focus?
Answer this question: “For to me, to live is ________________.”  Seriously, how would you answer that?  We all know the Sunday School answer, but I want you to really consider if the Sunday School answer matches up with your life.  I’ll give you a few minutes to contemplate…
“For me, to live is _________.”  What you write in that blank determines every decision you make: how you spend your time, what you spend your money on, what you think about, the people you hang out with, and on and on.  It’s a question you desperately need to get right.
Before you can fill in that blank sincerely, you have to be brutally honest with yourself.  We must be willing to admit that our life does not always match up with that ideal.  One of the great failings of most Christians is self-deception; an unwillingness to be honest with yourself. I’ll let you in on a secret: God already knows the truth; so you might as well admit the truth and let Him help you.
If you are like me, there are many things that distract me from Jesus.  When I was little, I lived to play.  When I got to high school, I lived to be liked.  When I got to college, I lived to do what I wanted (which is still a challenge).  After college, I lived to acquire things I wanted.  Now, I have to be very careful or I will live for Lynda, Levi, and Wren. None of those blank fillers are bad, but they are not the best.
The only goal worthy of your entire life is Jesus Christ.  And the first step to living for Jesus is identifying the things that you are tempted to live for instead of Him.  So I exhort you to take a hard look at your life and be honest with yourself.  If you are living for pleasure, a relationship, for money, or anything else – confess it, repent of it, claim the forgiveness Christ bought for you on the cross, and then intentionally refocus your life on Jesus. God is gracious to forgive and restore!
Below is a link for a good article on self-deception…

No comments: