Wednesday, February 6, 2013


Philippians 1:20; Grace for Today – 2.06.2013
“I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.”
An old seminary professor was terminally ill, but was still teaching his classes.  One day a student asked him after class, “Professor, is it scary knowing that you could die any day?”  The old professor responded, “You know, God has given me grace to live every day and I bet that He will give me grace to die on my final day.”  Keep that in mind as you read on…
You have to pay attention to realize the seriousness of Paul’s situation.  It’s easy to get caught up in the cheerful phrases like, “eagerly expect and hope” and “Christ will be exalted” and miss the kicker, “whether by life or death”.  As Paul was writing this letter, his life was tenuous: he didn’t know if the knock on the door was dinner or a soldier coming to execute him. 
How do you function with that kind of uncertainty?  It’s an important question because we all have uncertainty in our lives, though thankfully most of us are not in Paul’s position.  But Paul answers that question for us in the second half of the verse: “Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.”
God gives us the grace and strength to handle whatever comes our way.  We are never overwhelmed because the eternal God of infinite mercy lives within us – He is the source of our strength in good days and bad days.  So it doesn’t matter how bad the circumstances get in your life, the Holy Spirit residing within you is more than enough to get you through it.  “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me…”
By the way, this verse makes a great prayer to begin your day – “I have no idea what today will bring, but I am confident that You will grant me courage so that You will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.” 
The age old question, “What am I here for?” and “What should I do with my life?” are answered succinctly in this verse: “Live so that Christ will be exalted in your body, whether by life or death.”  That is the mission statement of the life of every Christian.
Regardless of what this day will bring; God will give you the courage to meet it.  And not just meet it, but to become victorious over it so that Christ will be exalted through you!
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion, therefore I will wait for him.”Lamentations 3:22-24

No comments: