Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Philippians 1:22-23; Bullets
“If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! (23) I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; (24) but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. (25) Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, (26) so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.”
This is the summation of Paul’s musings about life and death in Christ.  Considering all that we have discussed in the past few weeks – it pretty much speaks for itself.  A couple of bullet points to consider:
-          Paul knew his purpose in life – do you know yours?  Hint: your purpose is the same as his.  Are you actively pursuing that purpose?
-          Are you living such a purposeful life with your family and friends that their joy in Christ Jesus overflows on account of you?
-          Fruitful labor: Fruit benefits those around the tree, not the tree itself.  Are you using your gifts for the benefits of others?  While a fruit tree does not benefit from its fruit, it is proof that it is healthy.
-          Paul was willing to forego his greatest desire (to depart and be with Christ), so that he could continue to minister. Are there personal desires you need to give up so you can focus more clearly on others?  Do you love others enough to deny yourself?
Take a few minutes and prayerfully ponder those thoughts and questions.  Allow the Spirit some time to work in your life.  Create some quite moments in your life so you can learn to hear His voice.  I desperately need that in my life and I bet you do to.
Paul loved Jesus so much that he didn’t care if he lived or died.  Paul loved the Philippians so much that he sacrificed his desires for their benefit.  Paul was so committed to the ministry of Christ that he ignored everything else. May we follow his example!
“Follow my example, as I follow the example Christ.” – Paul in 1 Corinthians 11:1

No comments: