Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Philippians 1:27-28; Citizens
“Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel (28) without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God.”  
“Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ.”  That is an intimidating phrase isn’t it?  The gospel is by grace alone and we are incapable of earning even a portion of it – how then can we live to be worthy of that gospel?  Well, we can’t.  But Paul is not calling us to be worthy of the gospel as in, “earn the gospel”; the phrase literally means, “behave as citizens”. 
In the ancient world, civic pride and duty was incredibly important.  Possibly building on that thought, Paul exhorts the Philippians to behave as citizens of the gospel.  The faith that had transformed their lives should be lived out in public.  It should be a conscious decision to live according to the gospel, to represent their true home to the best of their ability.
What does living as a citizen look like?  I could spend the rest of year writing about that, but I’ll simply say this:
“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.”Philippians 2:3-4
That should be enough to keep us busy for a while…
“I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you.”  When we behave as citizens of the gospel, we will be unified in the faith and work of the gospel.  We also will not be afraid of opposition because we are striving together as one man.  I love that picture! 
I see it over and over during the summer when a group of staff are working on the same project – 6 or 8 or 10 people working as one to accomplish a task.  It is a beautiful thing!  That is what the body of Christ, the church, should look like.  Thousands upon thousands of believers striving side by side as one to accomplish the work of Christ!  What could we do if we would just work together?  Or more appropriately, what couldn’t we do? 
Poverty eliminated…orphans adopted…the bible translated…slavery eradicated… unreached people groups reached…you name it – as Christ directs and empowers, we, the Body of Christ could achieve if we worked together.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me…and last I checked, “all things”, means EVERYTHING!
That was a bit of a rabbit trail, but one I thought was worth chasing.  I’ll finish up this passage next time… Something to consider as you go through your week: I Googled “Christian Mission Organizations in Africa” (and could have chosen anywhere) and came up with page after page of missions.
Do you think we would be more effective if the ministries that deal with orphans or microfinance or whatever pooled their resources and worked together?  Or at least partnered together? Frankly, I don’t know – but feel free to consider…
“But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ” – Philippians 3:20

No comments: