Friday, November 9, 2012


Philippians 1:7-8 – Community

“It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.”

Paul loved this church. They accepted him, believed his message with joy, partnered with him, and supported him whether he was on a missionary journey or languishing in prison. In many ways, the church at Philippi was Paul’s support system, like Mary, Martha, and Lazarus appeared to be for Jesus. 

We all need people like this, our very own Philippian church. People who support us whether we’re on top of the world or the world is on top of us.  Win or lose – we need people who love us simply for who we are.  My parents have always been that for me, a few good friends along the way, and Lynda and the kids are my main support now.  At the end of the day, Wren and Levi don’t care if I saved the world from an alien invasion or caused the downfall of western civilization – they’re just happy I’m home.  What a joy they are to me! 

I realize most of you don’t have kids yet, but do you have friends like that?  Perhaps more importantly, are you a friend like that?  I believe the easiest way to create your own Philippian church is to be a Philippian church to others.  Support your friends and family, encourage them, pray for them, and extend grace to them at every opportunity.  Don’t judge them on their performance or their reputation; love them simply because you love them. Be that kind of friend and I bet some of those people will be that kind of friend for you.

Why is this important?  Because that is the way Christ loves us. You may have a disengaged family, selfish friends, and no one who understands or supports your call in life.  Jesus knows – literally – his family was less than encouraging and his hometown tried to throw him off a cliff.  He knows and He has provided us with a Comforter who will meet our every need in Him. We are called to be like Christ, and I believe unconditional love and support is an important way to do that. 

And a random thought about community: God calls us to live in community.  It is in community where we get to share in the joys and sufferings of others.  We laugh with those who laugh and cry with those who cry, and somehow in the sharing, their joys and sufferings become ours as well.  This is how we bear one another’s burdens.  Proclaiming Christ together through the ups and downs of life on this fallen world – that is how we become the church.

“Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”Galatians 6:2

No comments: