“And this
is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of
insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure
and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of
righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.”
We will look at this prayer over the course of a few days –
there is much to digest here.
“And this is my
prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of
insight…” With Paul, everything boils down to love. Perhaps you remember this teaching from Paul
in 1 Corinthians 13 (I know this is
a familiar passage, but read it like you’ve never seen it before):
1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not
love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and
all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not
love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the
flames,b but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not
boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily
angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always
perseveres.
8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will
cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge,
it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a
child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind
me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall
see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am
fully known. And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the
greatest of these is love.
When Paul speaks of love, those 13 verses define what he
is talking about. He prays not only that we would have this type of love, but
that it would abound in our lives. The
word “abound” comes from the Greek word perisseuē which means, “to superabound (in quantity or quality), be in excess,
be superfluous; also (transitively) to cause to superabound or excel”.
In other words, Paul prays that love will super-saturate
the church; that their love would be over the top, excessive, extravagant, and
frankly…ridiculous. What does ridiculous love look like? Here is an example:
A friend of my old roommate decided it was time to tell a
girl how he felt about her. His feelings
had been growing and growing till he had to say something or he would
burst. So he drove over to her house,
rang the doorbell, and he poured out his heart when she answered the door. She was surprised, touched, and honored, but alas,
she didn’t feel the same way about him.
So he turned around, got back into his car, and drove the 31 HOURS back
to his home in Wisconsin from her home in Seattle. Thirty-one hours…each way…for a 30 minute
conversation!
That would be an example of ridiculous love. Ridiculous love
is costly, time consuming, and seems crazy to most everyone else. Of course,
Jesus is our ultimate example in this (as in everything). How did he love? Well, he went out to seek and save the lost,
he loved God and loved others, He healed, taught, prayed, challenged, obeyed
God, cared for others, and eventually, He died on a cross so that others might
live.
As I consider those things, the challenge for me is that
Jesus wasn’t afraid to jump into someone else’s mess. He talked with beggars on
the street, He waded into religious debates, and He cared for the diseased and
outcast. He wasn’t afraid to get His
hands dirty and get emotionally involved.
In my flesh, those are the last things I want to do. But my Spirit knows that is where Christ is
and it is where I should be as well.How about you? As you consider the ridiculous love of Jesus, where is your challenge? Ask God to reveal where He wants your love to abound to those around you. There are very few guarantees in the world, but I can guarantee you this: God wants you and me to love more. Pray that God will give you a ridiculous love for Him and that it will abound to those around you.
“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with
great love.” – Mother Teresa
No comments:
Post a Comment