Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Philippians 1:9-11; Ridiculous Love II

"And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight…”
If you recall from last time, we explored Paul’s idea of ridiculous love. Love that abounds to those around us; love that gets involved, is proactive, is costly in time and resources, and don’t forget this: is given in joy.  Comparing that description to my life…I do not love ridiculously.
Many of you are gifted with a big heart that welcomes and loves and cares for others.  But maybe there are a few of you like me who find it a little more difficult to love.  I am often frustrated by my lack of “feeling” towards others. I hear people tell how their hearts are broken for orphans or their love for Muslims caused them to sell everything and move to Iraq.  That doesn’t really happen for me; I wish it did.
While I am often concerned about issues and for groups of people, my heart is rarely overwhelmed by what I would call love.  I’m learning that that’s okay; my feelings are a very small part of the equation.  What matters is the action I take based upon the concern/love that I have.  I’m not let off the hook until my feelings warm up – we are called to love, and act on that love, regardless of our “feelings”.
As CS Lewis says:
“Do not waste time bothering whether you “love” your neighbor; act as if you did. As soon as we do this we find one of the great secrets. When you are behaving as if you loved someone you will presently come to love him.”
The action of love is the imperative; the feeling of love is a bonus.  The important thing is that you submit your will to God and love others the best you can in all circumstances. As you love the best you can, the Spirit will empower you to love the best that He can.
With the Spirit’s help, we will begin to love like God loves – unconditionally, sacrificially, and without thought for self – that is ridiculous love!
“Christian love, either towards God or towards man, is an affair of the will.”CS Lewis

No comments: